Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Direction d'Appui à la Recherche et à l'Innovation (DARI)

Valorisation and Technology Transfer

  1. What are the key stages in setting up a contract?
  2. a. What is "proper knowledge"?
    b. Why list own knowledge?

  3. What is the CIFRE scheme?
  4. Does a student on placement own the intellectual property rights to their placement work?

Doctoral Schools

  1. I can't find the doctoral degree when I re-register
  2. How is the thesis defense jury composed?
  3. What is an A-level employee?
  4. Can you interrupt your PhD?


  1. I am an international researcher planning a stay at Avignon University and I need a visa, what procedure should I follow?
  2. I am an international researcher who plans to stay at Avignon University, how can I benefit from support for my installation?
  3. I am a researcher at Avignon University and I would like to set up or renew a research agreement with an international partner, how do I proceed?

Engineering of research projects

  1. I am looking for funding for a research project but I do not know where to turn. Who should I contact?
  2. Can a non-permanent researcher carry out a research project?
  3. Is there any training in writing research projects?
  4. What is a person-month and what is its purpose in the context of a research project?

Communication Research & Scientific, Technical and Industrial Culture

  1. I would like to modify or create my search engine page in the directory of your site, how can I do this?
  2. I'm a researcher at the university and I'd like to use the website to report news or an event related to my research. What procedure should I follow?
  3. I see that you publish "Research Portraits" every month. How is the selection made?
  4. I want to participate in the Fête de la Science, how do I go about it?
  5. I am a doctoral student or teacher-researcher and I would like to propose a conference. How do I go about it and who should I contact?
  6. I'm a regular at Avignon Université's scientific culture conferences and Midisciences. How can I find out what's on?
  7. I am a researcher in a laboratory of Avignon University and I would like to organise a scientific symposium, who should I contact?

University Research School (EUR) Implanteus

  1. What is a EUR?
  2. How to apply for the IMAS Master?

3A platform

  1. What is the 3A platform?


Valorisation and Technology Transfer

  1. Do you need to establish a budget and/or obtain a research contract?
    The Pôle valorisation et transfert de technologie supports you in the following ways:
  • An appointment: simply contact us to present your research project. We will identify your needs during a meeting with you, then we will establish the budget and the type of contract needed to formalise your research project.
  • An interview with the partner: This stage is not compulsory, but it may be necessary. It allows us to confirm the main contractual principles and the financial aspect with the partner before sending the first version of the contract.
  • Drafting and negotiating the terms of the contract: This phase, which generally takes place after the various interviews, enables us to draft the contract that meets the needs of the project and the partners. There is a back and forth between the partner and the valuation engineer in charge of the file. You are copied on the exchanges in order to keep you informed of the project's progress and to be able to call on you if necessary on the points of discussion.
  • The signing of the contract : The contract signing phase is the one that comes formalise the agreement between the Université d'Avignon on behalf of the Laboratory and the partner. Once the contract has been signed, a copy is sent to you and your laboratory manager + financial department for information.

2. a. Own knowledge: Refers to all information and technical knowledge including know-how, databases, software, plans, diagrams, formulae or any other type of information in any form whether patented or not, patentable or not, necessary for the execution of the Project, which each party may hold or have prior to the Project and/or develop or acquire, individually or with third parties in parallel with the Project independently of it and which each partner agrees to make available to the other partners for the execution of the Project.
In short, these are the patents, software, know-how, and any knowledge that the teacher-researcher needs to carry out the project.

2. b. The advantage of identifying own knowledge by listing it beforehand is that to allow each of the parties to explain their intellectual contribution to the project, to be able to distinguish them from the results generated by the parties in the course of the project and therefore to protect them in order to retain their full ownership, and freedom of use and communication.

3. The CIFRE (Convention Industrielle de Formation par le Recherche) scheme strengthens exchanges between public research laboratories and the socio-economic environment, encourages the employment of doctors in companies and contributes to the innovation process in companies.
In concrete terms, it brings the public and private spheres closer together by contributing to the financing the salary of a doctoral student supervised by an academic laboratory on a company's problem. For the company, it is a facility for accessing better scientific and technical knowledge and skills. For the laboratory, it is an opportunity for real application and validation fields for a finalised research.
>> For further information

4. Yes, because he is not an employee of the host institution, he is on placement.
The non-salaried student on placement is therefore at least a co-owner of his invention, and owner of any copyright attached to his results.
A contract for the transfer of these rights (only economic rights for copyright) can be put in place with the support of the "Technology Transfer and Development Unit".

Doctoral Schools

  1. A request for authorisation to register must be renewed every year. Doctoral students must apply for an authorisation to enrol before re-enrolling.
  2. The jury must comprise between 4 and 8 members. At least half the members of the jury must be from outside the doctoral school and the Université d'Avignon. At least half must be professors or equivalent.
  3. Professors and assimilated staff within the meaning of Article 6 of Decree No. 92-70 on the National Council
    of universities and article 5 of decree no. 87-31 for health disciplines, or by teachers of equivalent rank who do not come under the Ministry of Higher Education, by the staff of higher education establishments and public research bodies.
    They are therefore Pr or Dr.
  4. A doctoral programme cannot be interrupted.
    Exceptionally, upon a justified request from the doctoral student, an unseverable gap period of a maximum of one year may occur only once, by decision of the head of the institution where the doctoral student is registered, after agreement of the employer, if any, and opinion of the thesis director and the director of the doctoral school.


Are you planning to join us? To facilitate your arrival in Avignon, we have published a bilingual French-English guide which will give you all the keys to prepare your stay.

  1. The type of visa depends on the length of your stay (less or more than 90 days), the reason for your stay and your status. To find out what type of visa you need and to start the process, please visit the official website for visas to France. You can also find information on the website of the French Office for Immigration and Integration and on the website of Ministry of the Interior. Visit the dedicated page of our website for more details.
  2. Avignon University is a EURAXESS Contact Point and a member of the Euraxess France association. The EURAXESS Researchers in Motion network is an initiative of the European Commission, launched in 2004, which aims to support researchers in mobility, whether they are nationals of the European Union or third countries. The local Euraxess Contact Point can be contacted throughout the process, in French and English, at euraxess@univ-avignon.frVisit the dedicated page of our website for more details.
  3. In partnership with the Maison de l'International for agreements involving a training component, the Research and Innovation Support Department can help you develop your international partnerships. Please contact us at so that we can guide you.

Engineering of research projects

  1. The easiest way is to make an appointment with Mariama Cottrant to explain the context and your needs. Depending on the type of research, the possible partnership and the order of magnitude of the budget you need, you will be able to select certain calls for projects and determine together the next steps.
  2. It all depends on the calls for projects. This can be envisaged in the framework of an ANR YYR project (Young Researchers), as long as the scientific leader is under contract for the entire duration of the project, and knowing that the ANR does not finance his/her salary. For an ERC project, the grant may cover the full salary of the scientific leader, so it is necessary to anticipate This envelope should be used as soon as the project is set up, and a letter of commitment should be requested from the institution (mandatory for the submission of the application). For other calls for projects, please contact Mariama Cottrant which See on a case-by-case basis if this is possible.
  3. Yes, the Research and Innovation Support Division generally organises at least one training course a year. Depending on demand, we can organise more themed training courses or targeted calls for projects. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
  4. A person-month (or man-month) is a unit of measurement for assessing the amount of work needed to complete a task or achieve a project's objectives. One person-month corresponds to a full-time equivalent of one month's work, i.e. about 20 working days, regardless of the number of people involved or the time span of the task: a person-month can be spread over 6 months for example. In general, to specify the involvement of a person in a research project, we speak in person-months rather than a percentage. Thus, for a person involved in 10% of their working time in a 36-month project, this would be 3.6 person-months. This method of calculation can be used in the same way for permanent and non-permanent staff. This is essential for calculating the full cost of a project.

Communication Research and Scientific, Technical and Industrial Culture (STIC)

  1.  - If you already have a page, use the login details that were sent to you when you created your page. The subject of the email is: "Individual access to the back office of the new Avignon Université portal".
    - To create a page or to get your login details back, send your request to
  2. If you are part of the Avignon University community and have a topic that could be the subject of a Research news item, please contact us at by providing us with: an abstract, the laboratory(ies) and person(s) involved, royalty-free visuals.
  3. Our objective is to promote the maximum number of research themes in our laboratories. We alternate as much as possible between humanities and social sciences and sciences (including computer science, mathematics) and agrosciences. These portraits concern both researchers and research support staff: technicians, engineers, assistant engineers, etc.
    A question concerns the scientific news of the interviewee, so it is necessary that you have some news to share (e.g. the release of a book, a recent publication, an event that you are organising...).
    If we haven't thought of you yet, please let us know!
    Contact us at
  4. Whether I am a student, a student association, a member of the academic staff or a teacher/researcher at the University:
    Please contact us by mail:
  5. You should send an email to :
    In mentioning your laboratory, the proposed subject and the planned date (the Midisciences take place at S2, from 12:30 to 13:00, on Thursdays from the end of January to mid-May on both campuses)
  6. You can find information and the programme of CSTI events at website agenda and more particularly on the The "Rendezvous of Scientific Culture "The University's website.
  7. Contact the Research Communication Unit to launch the procedure (governance agreement, shuttle form, pre-booking of dates, etc.)

University Research School Implanteus

  1. Based on the internationally recognised Graduate Schools model, the aim is to fund projects that fully involve higher education establishments and research bodies. These projects must have a strong international dimension and, as far as possible, maintain close links with economic players. They bring together master's and doctoral courses as well as one or more high-level research laboratories.
    Launched in 2017, a University Research School (EUR) is a component of a university created by an agreement between the State and the National Research Agency (ANR) as part of the Future Investment Programme (PIA 3).
  2. All the information to apply is on the EUR Implanteus website.

3A platform

  1. The 3A Platform is a set of shared equipment jointly administered by INRAE and Avignon University and consists of 3 distinct platforms:
    An Environmental Control Platform (ECP)
    - An Analytical Platform (AP) comprising 3 platforms (Metabolomics, Spectrometry and Microscopy)
    - A Platform for Animal and Human Physiology (PPAH)
    The platform benefits from state-of-the-art equipment in the various specialities as well as high-level infrastructures in order to meet the challenges of scientific research and innovation.